banana rum and coke after a long night working in the ballpark….FTW
This is bad…
I was eating apples and dipping them in caramel…
Italy is up 2-0 in the Euros…
I am now forgoing the apples and just eating the caramel….
No I don’t regret it….just want Deutschland to win…..
I’ve been up for a while, but I really don’t bother looking in mirrors unless getting makeup on…but…
When I went in to take my shower just before, I noticed my eyes were bloodshot, and I apparently forgot to wash my makeup off last night, so I looked (scarily) like Capt Jack Sparrow…after an all night bender….O_O
Now, I worked last night, so I didn’t drink (HONESTLY)…
I wasn’t up all night, playing Minecraft or Forza like some people I know (ahem, my son—who btw just woke up)….
And I didn’t take Ambien either, so seriously…
I just had a 16 year old tell me that me writing smutty fanfiction was “weird” and “kinda gross” because I’m 34 and a mom.
Oh, child. Sit down. Let’s you and I have a little talk.
You know what it means that I’m 34 and a mom? It means all those things you read in fanfiction? I’ve done them.
Now go finish your Lunchable and your chocolate milk and GTFO of my face.
She obviously has no idea how old most authors in the Romance section of the bookstore really are…
My daughter, who is apparently a lil afraid of the storm, asked me to make it stop.
I told her to ask Thor nicely to make it go away…
“But you’re better at talking to them (any of the Gods) than I am!” she said.
“But they like hearing from the young ones too, and they seem to genuinely listen to the children more, ” I told her.
People are always going to tell you what Paganism is and isn’t, how it should be done, how it shouldn’t be done, which tradition you should follow, and how to follow that tradition. I have often found that these people are ones who cannot mold your experience. Listen if only you choose their advice is worthy of your perception. This is your life, your path, your perceived world, and whatever reality presents to you is regulated by your permission to allow it to influence you.
What Paganism is truly is what you want it to be. That’s why it’s Paganism, you forge your own paths, your own beliefs, your own way, just like any conventional lifestyle, you are in control of your life and have the free will to do as you desire.
But will you allow people to mold you based on their path? Like anything in life, are you really going to let a bunch of spiritual yuppies tell you how to live? I’d hope not. There are natural laws, there are rules, there are rituals, there are well-documented procedures, there are many things to adhere to and follow, and like gravity, you can choose to disbelieve in it all you’d like, but it’s still very real.
Although the world and cosmos contains much structure, it does come out of the chaos of all that is. The equilibrium of a life is based solely on your temperance of the two, the mixing of opposites to find harmony.
My advise for newcomers and those seeking to learn the way of the craft, nature, paganism, high mysticism, etc, (and really in my opinion, you’re not learning anew, more so returning to your roots), create your own destiny, forge your own path, others’ paths are merely used as subjects like a role model, inspiration, or a guidance system to help you along the path to discovery. Advice is great, wisdom is sound, try to listen to those who have experience is wonderful, but in order for you to discover your own unique wisdom and advice, that which you’ll some day hand down to a person in your shoes.. you must go through the process of trial and error, mistake-making, and seeming like a fool here and there. We’ve all done it and have laughed in educated and enlightened joy.
And although others are great for learning, studying, and the pursuit of education, if you don’t like what a person says, you don’t have to listen to it. You’ll find that you’re going to at least disagree once with everyone you meet. We’re all so unique, different, and vastly complex. There’s no way one size fits all. This is spirituality, not a fitting room! If you’re ever admonished for your ways, looked down upon for your ideas, stop and think to consider that if first: Do you know the traditional/historical value of what you’re doing and/or not doing, but you’ve decided to modify that because it doesn’t suit you, or are you simply uneducated, naive, and playing with a fire that could easily burn you or your home down?
I see some folks on Tumblr giving sound advice, that which is very traditionally typical and authentic, but I see far too many commanding as if in an assertive way. The way of the witch, the craft, the spiritual one, the mystic, whoever you are both loving and wide— none seek to command, we ever seek suggestion and guidance. Like the patient teacher, they help compassionately, but not do the work for you. That is paramount to your individuated learning style and it must be completed by you.
Many of us here are filled with so much joy and love that we desire to spread it to the world long and far, and as many of us return to our roots, I believe that sometimes it is forgotten what era we live in. Although our roots are long gone, and although they resurface, we must also honor the now, and usher in the unity of a long-lost world which we once knew. It is not foreign to see a newcomer mixing the present age with the old age, and I’ve witnessed a lot of smacking of the hands on that one. But why would we admonish they who inherently do this?
Brilliant are they who integrate vastly different eras, for they do in moments of complex learning what would naturally take thousands of years for etymology, culture, society, fashion, spirituality, and people to change. Societies and peoples do change over time, and as with something that ended long ago, it is merely seen as a pause to those who wish you resume what once was.
With something as restructured as Neo-Paganism is, you cannot help but only utilize concepts that you know, the present world which you grew up in, so you’re going to mix and match ancient practices with post-contemporary philosophy and traditions. And I am here to share with newcomers and even oldgoers who wouldn’t mind a reminder or new perspective on it, that there is no right and wrong way to modern paganism. If you’re seeking to adhere religiously to specific traditions, paths, lifestyles, and ritualistic spiritualities, then quite frankly, you do have to go by the book, or whatever materials that have strong historical credibility on the matter or what has sustained the tests of time, if you’re going to claim to be a part of that.
But there is most certainly nothing wrong with freelancing your spirituality and becoming largely eclectic. I know of many people who mix contained, terrestrial Paganism with high new age esotericism involving extraterrestrial concepts like human manufacturing by advanced alien beings. A traditional pagan wouldn’t even begin to wrap their head around the concept of life beyond Earth, the potential for similarly intelligent if not far more advanced lifeforms, and the reincarnation thereof, for their entire universal experience is mounted to Earth, which isn’t wrong at all, it’s just as beautiful! That terrestrial pagan could easily argue insanity for that person mixing new age humdrum with authentic paganism. But you see what I’m saying, and this isn’t to say that I disbelieve the idea of extraterrestrial reincarnation, because I do support it.
My only advice to anyone on their path, in conclusion, is that if it fits you at the time in your life, and it works for you— go for it baby and shine in the faces of anyone who tells you that you’re “doing it” wrong. Some day, you just might look back and giggle at past naivety and actually agree with those who laughed at you, or you might look forward and continue what it is that you do. Whatever life transformations and enlightenment you may accrue in your time here, so long as you live true to yourself and are willing to learn from your mistakes from a place of self-honesty, self-growth, humility, self-love and respect for yourself, and love for all that is, you’ll be fine.
I understand that a lot of people who are much more read and seasoned in the lifestyle and have been on their path for ages are quite upset when they come across someone who is practicing their tradition in what seems to them that the other’s actions are offensive, wrong, and mortifying. It is then at that point when you either filter ego or compassionately attempt to dissolve their ways with patient guiding education and wisdom on the matter. If what you seek to present isn’t getting through to them or they meet you with obstinacy, compassion will allow you to walk away and ask Universe that they figure it out. They have a right to find their own path in their own time. If it is truly that much of a bother to you, or you feel they’re shaming that tradition, patiently explain to them the unique situation regarding where you’re coming from. If they are still obstinate, it will be ego that fills you with persistent anger and grudgery, let it go. Trust that natural righteousness will find them, teach them, educate them.
And to the “plagiarism” debates of paganism, and to those who claim high self-important rights because their heritage and origin of ancestors are of those faiths… Seriously? I’ve seen it all over, and it baffles me. For example: You’re Icelandic so only you have a copyright on Norse/Asatru paganism and anyone else doesn’t have a right to say anything, or you’re from Egypt, so you know what’s up and anyone else trying to practice Kemeticism needs to back off, what do they know? Or you’re Indian, so only you could.. or you’re Native American, so only you can… or you’re Hawaiian, so only you can…! Cultural genocide and demolition has unfortunately wiped out literally all paganism. We’re all in this boat, no matter how much melanin he or she has. Let’s ride it together before we tip it?
The point of the new age is to come together in our similarities while embracing our differences through love and acceptance. I don’t need a new age or an old age to stand by that philosophy. Can we please go back to that instead of ethnic-pride, melanin-pride, cultural-pride… pride? You know, the one that’s a sin of the unhealthy, over-inflated ego?
Although this was meant to be more light and got a bit more like an accusative rant, I really just wanted to point out some of my observations and give my opinion on the matter. Really, I just want the more seasoned bunch to be aware of coming from the very possible place of initial learning that they once came from. Many of us did begin this path as an aspired one, one filled with vast loneliness, yearning, studying, misunderstanding, understanding through trial and error, naivety, accusation, humiliation, spiritual bullying, etc. It is in that place where we learned and grew, stronger, and knew what not to do next time, and in those insights, we hoped to share them with newcomers, maybe in some higher way to sort of ease some light suffering of our past selves and our experiences.
We are all very different, yet very beautiful, and although we each have our paths in life to follow and some of us our own crosses bear, let us remember the beauty of the revolving cycle of life in all of its complexities and simplicities. Let us be fond of those who are having a hard time, we were once there, be easy on them, break that vicious cycle of violence! Let us go through it and be the last, let us learn to teach and guide with compassion, love, new heart, joy, patience, cheerfulness, and understanding.
Newcomers, lastly, there are many great blogs out there and many great outlets/sources for learning such as these net blogs, books, stores, and groups. Take advantage, absorb for knowledge is power, and try your honest best to learn all that you can to presently respect and be aware of all that has been before you. Reject unsupportive assertive persuasion, this is your path, but only after you’ve learned of all that has been before you can you truly attempt to make an objective, wise disposition about your path and how you will drive on it, how you’ll look, feel, act, etc. Chances are that if someone before you has been doing it for some time, take the care to listen to them, they just might know what they’re talking about, and if you find what they say agrees with you, adopt it, if not, toss it. I’m not saying that to toss out widely accepted fact, no, fact is fact, but I am saying that like a pair of shoes, you can acknowledge its created existence, but choose not to wear them. :)
Be yourself, live true to who you are whomever that is at the time in your growth or whatever level of evolution you are in, and may peace be with you, your goals, and your path. ♥
- Can we please stop calling Paganism a lifestyle? Please? Pretty please?
- What are these natural laws, rules, rituals, well-documented procedures, and things to adhere to? Are they universal or are you speaking of specific traditions and cultures?
- Witchcraft, nature religions, high mysticism, and Paganism do not all equal each other - I’m not sure if you’re doing that or just lumping them together, which is still problematic.
- If you don’t like what someone says you don’t have to incorporate it into your own practice - but you shouldn’t just tune them out/not listen. Because maybe they have something useful to say, ya? After all, I could have just ignored your post, but instead I’m reading and responding to it to create dialog, which is something many Pagans seem truly afraid of.
- “The way of the witch, the craft, the spiritual one, the mystic, whoever you are both loving and wide…” - none of those necessary mean Pagan. Plenty of Pagans are not witches, nor mystics, nor practicing any sort of loving spirituality. Which is fine, it’s still Paganism.
- “…usher in the unity of a long-lost world which we once knew…” What unity? I’m honestly asking. When I think of the ancient world I think of war, violence, people trading and cultures mixing but also assimilation, genocide, and much else. I’m not sure what this unity you’re writing about means or is, but I doubt such unity as spoken of by new agers ever existed.
- You aren’t necessarily going to mix and match. Many Heathens and some other paths attempt to integrate themselves into ancient cultures and mindsets as much as they can. Most draw the line at things like human sacrifice, misogyny, gender roles and the gender binary, etc. but do their best to understand and live the ancient cultural frameworks.
- Ego isn’t really a bad thing. It’s something I expect to run in to when I meet a new Pagan, because my assumption is not that every Pagan I meet with be a mystic who ceases to overcome or erase their ego.
- “Cultural genocide and demolition has unfortunately wiped out literally all paganism.” No. No, no, no. If we go by the definition of Pagan as all those of non-JCI faith who self ID as Pagan then yes, perhaps all Paganisms were wiped out. But there are still indigenous practices alive today and you should not ever erase their existence. Their people are fighting for their survival.That cultural genocide you speak of is why white people must be aware of appropriation, must be aware of when they are stealing from cultures that have been almost destroyed, and why we do not get to say, nonchalantly, “We’re all humans, what’s it matter?” That sort of statement comes from a place of privilege.
- I support PoC having pride in who they are. I will not ask them to ever put that down for the sake of the ‘new age’. While you seek a melting pot, I seek a salad bowl - I don’t not want assimilation. I want multiculturalism. I want people of a culture to be able to say to others, “No, you are not us”, and for people to be okay with that without freaking out about that being some sort of threat. It’s not. It’s people establishing boundaries. It’s a culture keeping itself from being swallowed or eaten alive.
- Pride is something sacred in some Paganisms, so…you’re point is? Also, why are you bringing up a Christian sin in a discussion about Paganism??
Apart from the ignorance on ethnic and cultural issues, I think the above post was okay. I don’t agree with it from a standpoint of thinking of other Pagans, but, being a mystical Pagan myself, I do focus a lot on unity. But I also recognized that many Pagans, especially those coming into Paganism now after we’ve had such an explosion of recon, traditional, eclectic, and much more, will not be coming to Paganism just for unity or wanting nice, friendly practices. They’ll want specific groups, they’ll want specific cultures, and I stand by their right to assert themselves just as I stand by those who want to be in a unified, peaceful circle. You can actually support both those, you just have to acknowledge when one group or the other starts actively stomping on the others’ toes.
- 1. Tony is not allowed to replace the entire contents of the cafeteria with pop-tarts just because Thor has declared it the ‘food of the gods.’
- 2. Natasha is not allowed to interrogate new S.H.I.E.L.D. employees and dispose of the ones she deems unworthy.
- 3. Clint is not allowed to continue insisting that is the final step of the interview process to terrified new hires.
- 4. Tony is not allowed to broadcast sing-along songs into the Hulk-cage, no matter amusing he finds teaching Hulk “Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, turn around”
- 5. Clint is not allowed to put the security feed of the Hulk’s Teddy Bear dance on Youtube.
- 6. Bruce is not allowed to hack into personnel files to look up blackmail material on Director Fury.
- 7. Tony is not allowed to insist that he’s already done so and that Fury’s middle name is Rainbow Sprinkles…. Because it isn’t.
- 8. Thor is not allowed to be naked at Headquarters. Ever.
- 9. Steve is not allowed to address any female S.H.I.E.L.D. agents as ‘little lady,’ ‘broad,’ or ‘dame.’ It only ends in getting slapped.
- 10. Agent Coulson’s name isn’t “Mom.”
- 11. Director Fury should never again be addressed as “Dad”
- 12. Agent Hill is not the Avenger’s wicked stepmother.
- 13. Clint is not allowed to lurk in the shadowy rafters spying on people, unless specifically instructed to do so for an official S.H.I.E.L.D. sanctioned mission.
- 14. ‘Operation Irritate the Fuck Out of Nick Fury’ is not an official mission, no matter what Tony or Natasha say to the contrary.
- 15. Debriefings should not be preceded by tequila shots.
- 16. Debriefings should not be followed by tequila shots.
- 17. There are to be no shots of any kind during debriefings.
- 18. Thor and Hulk will wait to fight until after the battle is over.
- 19. Tony Stark is not God’s gift to women.
- 20. The Avengers do not need matching uniforms.
- 21. Tony and Bruce are not allowed to have a contest to see who can make a bigger “boom” in the lab.
- 22. Thor is not allowed to join in and make the biggest boom with his hammer.
- 23. The Avengers will not be celebrating Steve’s 94th birthday.
- 24. The laboratory is not Tony and Bruce’s ‘Super Secret Genius Clubhouse.’ They are not allowed to bar entry to employees based on IQ test results.
- 25. The Avengers are not making a promotional pin-up calendar. Or a sex tape.
- 26. Iron Man is not making a promotional pin-up calendar. Or a sex tape.
- 27. Tony Stark is not making a promotional pin-up calendar. Or a sex tape.
- 28. Thor is not allowed to ‘bring down the wrath of Odinson’ on the person who ate the last package of pop-tarts.
- 29. Pants are not optional at team meetings.
- 30. ‘Pepper said it was okay’ is not a good enough reason to defy a director order from command.
- 31. The words “What’s the worst that could happen?” are never to be uttered on a mission ever again.
- 32. MC Hammer did not write Thor a theme song.
- 33. Gumby is not the love child of Bruce Banner and Reed Richards.
- 34. Natasha and Clint are not allowed to impersonate members of the clergy ever again. Ever.
- 35. Blasting ‘Don’t Worry, Be Happy’ at top volume into Bruce’s room on loop overnight is not an effective way to suppress the Hulk.
- 36. Hawkeye is not sitting in the rafters waiting to pick off people playing Galaga on their computer during work hours.
- 37. Tony is not allowed to bribe Natasha and Clint to physically, emotionally or psychologically torture General Ross for being ‘a great big douchebucket’ and ‘being mean to Brucie-kins.’
- 38. Steve is ‘Captain America’ not ‘Captain New York and those 49 other, lesser states.’
- 39. ‘Hulk SMASH!’ is not an effective diplomatic policy.
- 40. Tony is not allowed to buy the Dodgers and move them back to Brooklyn to apologize for lighting Steve’s hair on fire.
- 41. The phrase ‘Trust me, I’m a doctor’ never leads anywhere good.
- 42. It is not funny to dare Bruce to drink three quarts of green food coloring before a urine test.
- 43. Steve is not to be introduced as ‘Captain Tightpants’ or ‘The All-American Virgin.’
- 44. The Avengers do not ‘charge into battle, naked like the Celts.’ Except for The Hulk. Sometimes.
- 45. Natasha’s glare is not in fact fatal. Tony is not allowed to continue implying that it is.
- 46. Tony is not allowed to convince Bruce to help him make death ray goggles so that it will be.
- 47. The Avengers are not allowed to overthrow the American government, just because they didn’t like the results from the last election.
- 48. The Avengers are not allowed to overthrow any government, without checking in with S.H.I.E.L.D. first.
- 49. Clint is not allowed to sell Thor any ‘magic beans.’
- 50. Natasha and Clint are not allowed to try to sell Tony to another planet, even if they are promised really cool new weapons in exchange.
- 51. Tony and Bruce are not allowed to go to any science conferences without a chaperone.
- 52. A robot Tony built does not count as a chaperone.
- 53. Nikola Tesla is not a vampire being held in the bowels of S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters.
- 54. Tony and Bruce are not allowed to go searching for him in the name of Science!
- 55. Clint’s super-power is not ‘being super-annoying.’
- 56. The following words and phrases are never to be uttered over communication devices during an active mission ever again: “Exploring sexuality,” “Necrophilia,” “It’s getting hot in herr, so take off all your clothes,” “I hate everyone on this mission and I wish they’d die in a fire,” “Nick Fury can go suck on a big bag of sausages,” references to Bruce’s giant stash of weed, mention of anyone’s erection, or “Shawarma.”
- 57. If it makes Tony giggle for more than 30 seconds, it isn’t allowed.
- 58. If it makes Natasha crack a smile, it’s probably illegal.
- 59. Thor taking Jane to see Asgard does not count as an alien abduction. Clint should stop referring to it as such.
- 60. Just because Bruce agreed to work in Tony’s lab, does not mean he needs to get a “Property of Stark Industries” tattoo.
- 61. Tony is not allowed to design a robot to draw said tattoo on Bruce when he falls asleep in the lab.
- 62. Post-mission reports to Director Fury should not start out ‘So let me explain…’
And sure enough, the iPod played the following, in order:
Thunderstruck by AC/DC
Twilight of the Thunder God by Amon Amarth
Lightning Strikes by Ozzy
Ride the Lightning by Metallica
Someone is being insistent methinks….LOL
Hey, Thor likes to rock out!
Why yes, yes he does….\m/
I am going to find more spiritual, ancient information about the wiccan religion and post them here.
Considering that Wicca was founded in the 1940s and its other theological/philosophical roots go about as far back as the beginning of the 19th century… yes, I wish you the best of luck with that.
I saw that last night. I was tempted but then I’d get in trubs. :D
You are giving Jennifers a bad name…I know, I am one. <BTW, that lil sign up there is funny as shit>
I’m so bored. I almost made a post asking for people to send me questions, but then I realized I’m probably not awake or ‘with it’ enough to form intelligent/coherent answers to any question thrown at me rn. So….shit.
Ah, but that’s usually when it gets fun….let me tell you, sometimes, I know I’ve had some rather ‘enlightening’ responses to people once the Ambien kicks in…hehehehehehee